Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Urban Myths

My long weekend was DEFINITELY not long enough. That's probably my own fault. I give, it is my own fault... During a MarioKart tournament on Saturday I had one drink (okay, okay, two) too many. Why didn't anyone warn me? Okay, you're right, why didn't anyone tell me to listen to the warnings?! Anyhow, I spent most of Sunday feeling sorry for myself (and, not to mention, old) and watching Quantum Leap (old again).
Monday was really great: my boss had a bunch of people over for brunch and then the boy and I went to get some beer with a coworker and her partner. And in doing so overturned a third urban myth of the District...enough for a bona-fide list!


Urban Myths of DC Uncovered!

1) DC apartment buildings (in Dupont, no less) do go co-op! I know someone! Not someone who knows someone who knows someone who this happened to in the 80s, but someone right now!
2) A permanent parking space. Not in a massive "urban" condo building garage. But in the rowhouse neighborhoods of NW. And off-street. The kicker? It's mine! Too bad I have no car...

Finally, the new addition...

3) A bar with no television. No constant playing of sports for the college wanks, no CNN (or Fox News) for the "I'm so important I have to constantly know what's going on" Hill-types who if they were that important would be on the Hill not at a bar... or have their drinks served to them in their schwanky Foxhall Tudor-style mansions. Just the chat of the patrons, the attentive-enough but not overly in-my-business bartender, the above-par bar food and the piped music create the mood. I think that Mr. Henry's on Pennsylvania in Capitol Hill might have to be my new local, even if it is in a different quadrant. The Columbia Heights local (Wonderland) requires too much attention to detail (read: Hipster and Suburban-hipster-wannabe clientele) to be truly enjoyable for both me, the sometimes-to-her-dismay-mistaken-for-a-hipster drinker, and my partner, the teetolar.

Of course, Wonderland is only three blocks away. And I hear weeknights are much less pretentious. Maybe I'll head over for just a bit... One beer of course. I swear I learned my lesson!

Aw, who am I kidding?! I'm not leaving the comfort of my house. And I'm most certainly not going to drink only ONE beer!

Cheers, ya'll.

0 comments: