Tuesday, October 25, 2005

When it rains, it pours...

Well, I'm back from Boston and man was it cold!!!! I mean, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! But, I am happy to report that the interview went smashingly and I'm very excited about the projects I would be getting to work on. Because it's at a federal institution (I can't say which, because I don't want to jinx anything... but I will say I would get to meet Senator Kennedy if I get the job there), the staff has to make a recommendation to the overall HR team in St.Louis, who in turn yays or nays the person. So, at the earliest, it would be next week before I heard anything.

But that's okay, because I have another interview on Monday the 31st. This job is for writing/researching exhibitions at the National Archives, where I used to work as a graduate student. I would be on a more direct course to a curatorial position than if I got the job in Boston, which is a very collections care oriented position. Regardless, though, I am so lucky to be getting a chance at both of these jobs. The collection in Boston is so diverse--it ranges from costumes, to ethnographic, to photographs, to prints, to dec arts, to documents. The projects are also very cool and the institution has plans to build a new on-site collections storage facility in the next five years, which is very exciting. The job here in DC would also be with an exciting collection, albeit mostly documents...but when you're working with the Emancipation Proclamation, you can't just call it "paper" can you?

This is going to be a long couple of weeks and perhaps a really big decision to make between the Metro and the T. By the way, what kind of silly name for a subway is that? Oh yeah, and the people in Boston are way nicer than some of the people in DC. I think the idea that Yanks are unfriendly is just Southern propaganda... The "cold" thing is true though, that's for damn sure.

Oh yeah, and one final thing... I definitely think my interview went well because of this playlist that one of my favorite peeps in the world compiled just for me! Erik, you going to make me a sequel?

1 comments:

Erik Palmore said...

I think I need to focus my efforts on making a list for getting over not getting a job. Mostly for myself, but my collection is too sad for cherr-me-up music.