Thursday, October 27, 2005

Old and Drunk

I recently had a conversation with my best friend from Mizzou about how our bodies don't snap back as quickly after drinking. When I was in college (and I admit, before I was legal), I could drink several days in a row and still get up for my 8am class bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. In archaeology field school, all you do is drink heavily, for Christ's sake. Our motto was PBR me ASAP and in North Dakota, what else are you supposed to do? But the next morning, I would get up and dig in the dirt for 8 hours with not a hint of a hangover.

And now, you ask? I go to a wedding, get scholshed on white wine and I don't feel like myself until the middle of the next week... So what does this mean? That I'm getting old? That I did so much damage to my body while in college that I can't handle it now? Or is it that when you now run 2.5 miles three to four times a week, your body really wants the poison out? Can being healthier make you less able to handle booze?

Well, regardless, I'm going to raise my glass to all you other mid-twentyites who are feeling the ache like me tomorrow night. And yes, that glass will have booze in it!

0 comments: