Thursday, October 13, 2005

Book and Cook

Since I'm not in school and I have a husband who isn't a big reader, I have a longing to talk about books with people. So, I formed a Book and Cook club and we had our first meeting last night. It began with a rousing viewing of America's Next Top Model and ended with gorging ourselves on cupcakes. In the middle, of course, was the book discussion. We read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. Really excellent read written from the first-person perspective of a 15-year-old boy with Asperger's autism. What I liked best about the book was the way that it humanized people with different realities. Normally, if you saw a person groaning and flipping out on the street, you would probably think, "what an awful little brat." But this book really shows how we all cope differently and some of us just break down. I mean, really, who hasn't wanted to throw a temper tantrum or hide in a cabinet at one time or another? As someone with an anxiety disorder, I admit that I sometimes can't cope and act out. I become a turtle and hide in my shirt or under a pillow. It happens to us all, at least the feeling does. And this book provided dialogue for that.

On another note, Lisa on America's Next Top Model is definitely a boozer. Not to mention a lazy eye... Great entertainment!!!

0 comments: