Friday, November 18, 2005

Well, Hell: Part III

Okay, right after I published that last post I got called by the job... and it's official! Nope, not me.

But, the conversation went really well. Since I have already worked for the Archives before in this department, I think that my old boss felt really badly telling me they went with someone else. I'm glad I got a one-on-one call, since the last job I interviewed with, I got a letter saying "this is to inform you that you are no longer under consideration for this position." Nice.

Anyhow, basically they went with someone who had more research experience. I asked what I could do professionally to make myself a more desirable candidate in the future... and her answer? I'm doing great... I have a top-notch portfolio, my interview went fantastic, and I had a wonderful resume... I just need more experience. I just gotta keep doing what I'm doing and one day it'll all fall into place.

So, as disappointed as I am because the department and staff at the Archives is wonderful, at least I know that I got it where it counts... I'm not wasting my time... I just got to get a little bit more than the other great person applying for the job!

Of course, the downside is that I have to get this experience while working in collections and volunteering (as in, no money) in exhibits. As my Grandpa said, "Well, that don't make much sense. How're ya supposed to get the experience if they won't hire you?" Ah, the wisdom of the eldery.

0 comments: