Friday, November 18, 2005

Well, Hell: Part II

Okay, so I'm feeling a bit like a big cheek to admit this, but... I am pretty sure my dream job just skipped right over me. I found out last week that they called my references and went on and on about how much I rule, to which my reference replied, "no fucking shit!" Okay, I'm ad libbing, but that was the gist. And then... I hear unofficial rumblings that they have picked someone else. What???!!!!! You only call references when you want to hire someone. Or, in my case, when you want to hire two people and have to decide which one. So basically, I do rule... but just not as much as some other exhibit writing fool.

But, as bummed as I was yesterday, I'm much better today. For one, it's not official yet. For two, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. There will be more jobs... maybe... sometime... somewhere. Third, I came in second for an amazing job! I don't suck THAT bad. At least I'm getting called, no? Fourth, and most thankfully, I already have a job at the Smithsonian. So I won't have to go live in my '87 Honda anytime soon. My current contract as been extended, with additional funds and there is a chance of a new project coming through that would mean more full-time work until September '06.

I guess the long and short of it is this: I didn't get the job that I want, but when your fallback is the Smithsonian, how much can a girl really complain?

Apparently, a lot, if you are me. Although, this is quite the optimistic post... So, hats off to me!

0 comments: