Friday, December 21, 2007

Ah, To Be Young...

I came across this great feature on Jezebel.com today and it made me very happy.  It's a review (apparently a regular feature) of beloved young adult and children's literature.  I'm excited because I hope it will bring up books I've forgotten about as I continue my recent (non-blogged about) obsession with the very same thing!  Since the summer of 2006, I've been trying to read more Newbury Award Winners or children's classics to break up the "high end literature" and academic crap.  So far, I've made it through The Giver, Witch of Blackbird Pond, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, Numbers the Stars, His Dark Materials, Chronicles of Narnia (yes, even the Last Battle), Wrinkle in Time, Swiftly Tilting Planet, Anne of Green Gables, Jacob Have I Love (I totally identified with Louise, being a brunette and socially awkward fraternal twin myself) and The Last Unicorn.  It's not a super huge list yet, but I'm hoping to expand it.  Perhaps I can finally start another book club and we can focus on non-threatening and time consuming books like these...

Anybody have any "must read" suggestions from their childhood for me?

0 comments: