Sunday, March 18, 2007

Another One Bites the Dust...

Another year, another birthday, another festivity where I eat chicken with my hands. Yes folks, Andrew and my joint bday party this year involved our requisite libations, show, and hand-held chicken. This time we ate at the famous Moroccan restaurant Marakkesh and along with a sparkler-topped birthday baklava, we ate up the undulating stomach of their nightly belly dancer. Seriously, the balance, stamina and muscles on that lady! Of course, if my job was to dance practically naked (covered only in sparklies and silk) I would probably work extra hard to have a flat stomach. Good thing I work in a museum and wear head-to-toe business casual--my belly can be as wobbly as my sweater set can cover!

The rest of my birthday was also great--the boy took me shopping for some new rugs, a new modern chair and some wall hangings. We spent yesterday walking around U street in the post wintry-mix (also known as "God's tired of me saying he doesn't exist birthday punishment") of the day before. We also had lunch at Cafe Saint-Ex (finally!) and found this gem of a thrift store, Ruff N Ready. We walked in assuming that it would be a flea market and it was...a flea market on crack. Stuff was piled to the ceiling in three buildings and you could barely walk through it. You couldn't even see half of the stuff they were selling! The final building had holes in the ceiling and buckets catching water to save the stash. This place had everything from old stoplights to victorian armoires to rotting doors. And all surprisingly overpriced for what it was (45 dollars for an old Mexican feather picture? Really?) Of course, I'm sure that the owners would barter just to make space for more stuff they took from the local dumpsters. It was seriously an awe-inspiring experience.*

So, another year in my life bites the dust and I have to say that 25 was definitely better than 24. Got my dream job, found a new place in the city, didn't have anybody die and finished grad school. Can't wait to see what happens this year. Especially if it ends with a party where I eat chicken with my little grubby hands.

*I took pictures with my new camera phone, but the bluetooth isn't recognizing my Mac. I'll keep trying.

1 comments:

Kelly said...

Happy birthday to you and to Andrew! Marrakesh sounds awesome, I'm so sorry I couldn't be there this year.

If you're looking for more hand-held chicken, I highly recommend this place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/F7pxjmvMMuM2WJUrskJzaQ

Hopefully that link works...anyway, it's a Peruvian chicken place just up King Street from where I used to live. It's called (what else?) The Chicken Place. It's a little hole in the wall and it serves the best chicken in the world, along with plantains and Inca Cola. There are also some good Peruvian chicken places in Arlington, and I hear that there's one in DC as well. Ooh! Maybe we can find hand-held Peruvian chicken in Chicago!!!