Saturday, February 04, 2006

Tits on Fire

I recently discovered a BBC television series called Footballers Wives. It's aired on BBC America, but as I don't have cable television (it rots your brain and it's expensive... mainly it's expensive), I Netflixed the first series (seasons for you non-Brit watchers out there). This show is great! Apparently it's becoming quite the underground hit here in the USA. BBC America has already aired the first two series and is airing Series 3 soon. Or so I've heard from friends that have given their souls to the cable gods and from the BBC America website. While recently I've been preferring Britcoms like Last of the Summer Wine and Keeping Up Appearances, I decided to give this a try.

At first show, my husband and I were enthralled. However, this wasn't because of superb acting or social commentary on the lives of rich wives. In fact, it was like every other soaper (think Eastenders)... except that there was always one moment in the show where you go, whaaaaaaaa?

We have thus dubbed that type of moment "Tits on Fire." The inspiration for this term actually comes from a scene in one of the first episodes where one of the characters is being harassed by obnoxious, mysogynistic gits and somehow her breasts catch on fire. It's horrifying and I shouldn't make light or bastardize the event with a off-hand term... but I am. Well, not really. It's meant to apply to horrifying situations where the audience is horrified. Or shocked. Okay, I'm an uncouth person. I already know that. No need to leave comments stating as much.

Moving on.

We are actually now using this term whenever such a moment occurs in any series or movie, when one is left with his or her mouth gaping open. We even uttered "tits on fire" during an episode of Battlestar Galactica where a group of pilots get fried out of nowhere. Yes, I also watch Battlestar Galactica. I'm a bad person and I'm a geek.

Moving on. Again.

So next time you see something absolutely insane in a show (and please don't tell me that Desperate Housewives fits that bill...), feel free to steal my new term "tits on fire."

I promise not to call you a hater if I catch you.

1 comments:

Beth said...

and I think I'm renting that one...