Monday, February 13, 2006

Moving On.

I've basically been out of commission for two weeks with bronchitis, so I'm now overwhelming all you loyal readers (ahem) with three blogs in one day! I know, you are in a tizzy about it, I can tell.

I haven't been able to do much the past couple of weeks, so there isn't much to write about. I've been bedridden and unable to participate as a productive member of society. I haven't been to the gym and my body is definitely feeling it. My first run this week is going to hurt. I have been able to apply for several new jobs and I actually have an interview this Thursday for a position in digital imaging/preservation at the National Archives. It's not exactly what I want to be doing in the long run but the people are great (I assisted them when I worked at NARA before) and the collection is top notch. I mean, it is the National Archives. Sort of goes without saying. Except I just said it.

I've also been applying for exhibits/curator positions all over the urban US. There are several in Manhattan, one in Brooklyn, and another in Kansas City. Although I'm not sure if I'm ready to go back to the Midwest, the position is at an amazing museum that focuses on the suburban experience. Think Tupperware, 1950s All-electric house, and TV dinners. I'm sure the place has great objects and a chance to do some great interpretation of class and gender in the 20th century. That just opened, so we'll see.

It's interesting that I'm applying practically anywhere with a bit of urban personality at this point. I really would prefer to stay here in DC because 1) I love it 2) I have a great crew here 3) We would have two sizeable paychecks for the first time in... well, ever 4) I hate moving. But there hasn't been much open here in the District, but a lot elsewhere. As much as I would rather stay here in the DC area, I want a better job. I want to spend the next 5 years at a place I really love being before I head back to grad school. I don't want to just work for the sake of filling time until I go back to school. Even if my work is at the Smithsonian. Prestige of name does not equal personal satisfaction, regardless of what many of my contemporaries feel about jobs/geography/clothing/etc.

Anyhow, I have about 5 more jobs to apply to tonight and more open every day. We'll see what happens. Perhaps a move is in my future. At least to Dupont Circle.

0 comments: