Friday, January 13, 2006

Frizzle Frazzle

Okay, so I promised to update on my to-dos with "Healthy Living 2006." As of now, I'm failing... not because I haven't been eating well, exercising regularly, and getting lots of rest, but because I've been sick for a frickin' week with what appears to be a sinus infection. I've essentially been sleeping for the past five days. Grrr... The week before, I went running three times and did free weights at home twice... I watched my money, worked hard, set up two new things to expand my resume while I'm working in preservation instead of exhibits... It was good. And then? And then sinus pressure, headache, and fatigue.

Grrrrr.

Well, hopefully next week I will be back on track for "health living." I can go back to work and digitize more fishies, get back to the gym, and make some of the yummy meals I planned for this week. Also, on Wednesday, I am going back to help the Curator at the Woodrow Wilson House on their next exhibit. It's on this French designer, Worth. I love the Woodrow Wilson House. When I was last there, I was given so much responsibility and had an entire exhibit script, plan, and research to show for my efforts. I won't be able to be as involved this time around, since I'm only able to work one day a week, but when I am there, I know I'll definitely be getting my hands dirty. I'm excited!

Also, because I'm a nut, I'm going to be joining an American Studies Writing Seminar to work on an article that seems so close to being done...but I know isn't. Right now, it's at about 35 pages and the interpretation of the primary sources is pretty good. But I need to do more with the historical context section. Plus I have to figure out what journals and what bent they are more interested in... The Professor who's teaching it is so wonderful to let me in the class, since I am no longer a student and I was never an American Studies masters student. I took several of her content classes when I was getting my masters in Museum Studies and we really took to each other. The class is basically for her PhD dissertation students who are writing there diss. chapters. I get no credit for the class and I can't put it on my transcript. I'm just doing it because I want to write and publish an article in my free time. God, I'm insane...

Of course, the subject is just so fun. And this is what I love doing. I love writing, especially academic papers. I would tell you what the article is, but I don't want you to steal my amazing idea. Hey, publishing in academia is cutthroat man! Some guy published a book on the same subject, like, one second before my dad was going to defend his dissertation. Seriously.
I will say that the article is a cultural studies/media studies subject with a women's studies bent. And that it involves watching lots of bad 1970s/80s soap operas. The way I see it, soap operas can't do nuttin' but help my "healthy living," man.

Rock on, Mr. Perm, rock on.

0 comments: