Thursday, May 14, 2009

Please Donate

I've been thinking a lot about friendships this week... What they mean to us, what we expect from them, how they change or grow or go away, how they make us who we are... In particular, I've been thinking about a very good friend of mine, Cathy Fleming, who many years ago helped me see the beauty and creativity and fun in me that I didn't even realize that I had... and that I never imagined others would appreciate and, even, cherish.

Sadly, one of the main reasons that I've been thinking about her and the changeability of friendships is because five years ago yesterday she passed away after a life-long struggle with diabetes. She was one of the best friends that a person could have and I feel so blessed to have been a part of her life, in any small measure. She was kind, and loyal, and loving, and smart, and funny, and witty, and a true spark of life... never complained about anything (well, except how Arkansas wasn't her native Chicago... and Republicans), especially not her health. To this day she is an inspiration to me whenever I begin to let the little things in life turn me into a cranky, negative shrew.

The world is a tiny bit dimmer without the light that she shined on those lucky enough to know her.

Please read this memorial written by her family and consider donating to help other children who have diabetes live a full and happy life.

0 comments: