Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Mark Twain is a Dangerous Man

So, my friend Erik posted on his blog that it's Banned Books Week. It's amazing that Huck Finn (and his sidekick Tom Sawyer) are still holding strong as banned books after over one hundred years of upsetting people. No, seriously. Finn was published in 1884. EIGHTEEN HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FOUR. 1-8-8-4. You'd think people would have gotten over it by now right?

Well, anyhow, the complete list is available here. Other than confirming that Mark Twain really is Osama bin Laden, the list also confirmed my belief that children shouldn't read. At least 50% of the banned books are young adult selections, including Judy Blume, Lois Lowry, and Madeleine L'Engle. Apparently the members of the Newbery Medal Committee are anti-American communists hell-bent on destroying our children's morality.

And we mustn't forget about that great work of subversive communism, How to Eat Fried Worms. Take me for example. I read that at 8 years old and nearly moved to the USSR. AND I voted against Bush TWICE. All because I read banned books.

So, the moral of this story is this: books lead to drugs.

1 comments:

Erik Palmore said...

The Harry Potter books are so hotly debated too. I don't care if the books are written by the devil herself, anything that encourages kids to read is good for our future.